After more travails with the birth certificate place yesterday morning (short form, “it’s being processed,” but I still don’t have the paper in hand), I headed out home—although not by a direct route by any stretch. I took the Rim of the World Scenic Byway, essentially a four-hour tour through the San Bernardino National Forest.
It was a beautiful drive, although I didn’t have as much opportunity either for picture taking or for walking—there weren’t many places it was safe to stop and take a picture, nor were there many places for casual walking rather than serious hiking. I did get to see two of my favorite animal, though—at two places along the route, a coyote trotted along the side of the road. The first time it was more of a run and I didn’t get my camera ready in time for a photo; the second time, I tried, but it was close to the town of Big Bear Lake and there was actually traffic on the road. I nearly got rear-ended by slowing down to try to take a photo.
I didn’t make it out of the forest until well after noon, and decided to try to make it to Domingo’s, the restaurant in Boron I’ve been told about several times. I did make it, the food really is that good, and I did leave my ATM card in the ATM next door, which I didn’t discover until I’d stopped for gas in Mojave about 25 miles away. After much cursing, I called the credit union the ATM was with and confirmed they’d recovered my card, and drove back.
I’d toyed with the idea of taking State Highway 99 up through the Central Valley on my return trip; it’s a historic road, sort of the regional equivalent of US 66. However, it was a bit late in the day even before the hour or so the return trip to get the lost ATM card added to my time, so I decided I’d just head on to I-5 from that point and drive home.
So: it was a good mini-vacation, but in retrospect I rather wish I’d taken it the week after my contract ended or some such. The stress from the certificate nonsense didn’t help my peace of mind (playing over lots of if I’d only handled it through this method scenarios in my mind).
Now that I’m back home, I have papers to fill out, and a job start date that’s been thrown into doubt by this, making me feel further stressed by recruiter contacts that have continued the last few days—two of which weren’t “I’d like to send your resume to the hiring manager,” but rather “the hiring manager has seen your resume and wants to talk with you.” Maybe I shouldn’t be turning them down after all. Maybe this new job isn’t settled. Maybe this will drag on to a point where the employer says to heck with this and moves on.
And I’ve got a new—well, returning—stress to deal with, but this is enough angst at the end of an otherwise positive post, isn’t it?